6 Stenscholl, Staffin.
MacKenzie Stores is a friendly, family-run shop, takeaway and filling station in Staffin, Skye, which offers a quality range of goods and a warm welcome to locals and visitors.
Owned by Dave and Sonia, MacKenzie Stores is the only fuel station in the community of Staffin and between Portree and Uig.
Based in the crofting township of Stenscholl on the main A855 arterial road, the shop has one of the most picturesque settings on the island. Customers look out to Staffin Bay and Flodigarry Island and the Trotternish Ridge, including the Quiraing.
The shop sells a wide selection of goods including groceries, fresh fruit and veg, dairy produce, meat, frozen foods, greeting cards, bakery lines, confectionary, household supplies plus a heavily discounted £1 zone, where a plethora of products can be purchased. The shop is licensed and sells beer and spirits and tobacco. It also stocks local newspapers.
The self-service filling station provides petrol, white and red diesel at competitive prices which is fortunate given that Staffin is 17 miles north of Portree and 10 miles away from Uig, the ferry port for north Skye. Click on the pictures below to enlarge them.
Sonia and Dave have also recently established a new takeaway within the shop, with young lady Rhona Nicolson at the helm. The takeaway has a comprehensive menu offering everything from pakora, to beef curry to BBQ ribs, see what you fancy! below.
- Hot Dog £2.99
- Bacon, Sausage or Egg Rolls £2.99 (extras £1 per filling)
- Sandwiches/Bagels/Panini £3.50/£4.50 (freshly made at your request with your choice of fillings)
- Freshly Baked Pasty/Spicy Sausage Roll £2.99
- Jacket Potato with a choice of fillings £4.50
- Home Made Soup accompanied with a freshly baked roll £3.50
- Vegetable Spring Rolls £3.00
- Chicken/Sweet N Sour Rolls £3.00
- BBQ Ribs – sticky BBQ ribs – finger lickin’ good £5.00
- Southern Fried Chicken and Chips £5.50
- Cheese Burger/Chicken and Chips £4.99
- Onion Rings – fried in batter £1.99
- Homestyle Chips – freshly made, small £1.99 or large £2.99
- Curry Sauce – homemade style, great with chips £1.25
- Pizza Slice – please ask for details £3.49
- Kebab/Tikka Roll – spiced kebab/chicken tikka £5.00/£5.50
- Masala Fish – fillet fish, aromatically spiced £11.99
- Authentic Curry – Chicken/Beef/Lamb £7.49 – please ask which is available
- Chicken Tikka/Tandoori Chicken-Lamb Tikka £7.49/£9.99 – tender chunks of chicken/lamb marinated in spices
- Vegetable Curry – please ask for more details £5.50
- Authentic Naan Bread/Roti/Bhatura £2.50
- Pratha – stuffed/plain, please ask – Indian Flatbread £3.00
- Basmati Rice – with cumin seeds £2.50
- Pakoras – fried Indian snack, in batter, veg. meat, fish £4.99/£5.99/£6.99
- Samosas – triangle puff pastry veg £3.50
- Samosa Chaat – samosa, accompanied by chick peas £6.50
- Homemade chutney £3.25
- Freshly baked Cakes – please ask for more details, £1.99
- Fresh Pastries – please ask for more details, £1.49
- Indian Chai – freshly made with Masala, £3.00
- Tea/Coffee/Hot Chocolate £1.50
- Milkshake/Smoothie – freshly made for you, £3.00
You can order in person at the shop or phone beforehand – 01470 562 234 is the number.
Last food orders – Monday to Saturday 6pm, Sunday 3pm
There are a couple of tables outside on which to sit and enjoy your food and the view. The takeaway has proved to be hugely popular with locals and visitors alike, but don’t just take our word for it, have a look at what our customers, from all over the world, have said on Trip Advisor!
“I had the chicken tikka, and my wife had fried chicken. Had to wait a short while because we got there just before closing and the two ladies had their hands full with last minute orders. Absolutely worth the wait. WOW! We live in the southern USA and are used to excellent fried chicken. This was up there with the best. The tikka was also delicious.”
Opening times: Monday to Saturday, 9am to 6pm; Sunday, between Easter and October, 11am to 4pm
Directions: from Portree, MacKenzie Stores is 17 miles north on the A855 road. From Uig or Kilmuir, the shop is only 10 miles away over the spectacular single-track Bealach/Quiraing road or about 16 miles around the north end, respectively. The shop is on a long straight in Stenscholl and is easily recognisable.
Contact details: Phone MacKenzie Stores on 01470 562 234; Address: MacKenzie Stores, Stenscholl, Staffin, Isle of Skye IV51 9JS