FRESH menus, new products and special offers – Staffin’s business community is pulling out all the stops as we spring into the new visitor season.
All roads are leading to the Taobh Sear with the longer days, improving weather and a marked increase in traffic on the A855.
Staffin is on the east side of Trotternish peninsula and has unrivalled scenery and attractions.
There are a range of different businesses and services including shops, cafes, tearooms, a campsite, a quilter, a gym, museum, B&Bs, self-catering, a yarnmaker, dye company and yoga instructor! A snapshot is below. You can find out more about them all in more detail by clicking on the online business directory: https://staffin-trust.co.uk/staffin-directory
If you are travelling to Staffin we hope you enjoy your stay. If you are struggling to find out information about anything specific then call in to the tourist office in Portree, phone them on 01478 612992 or email firstname.lastname@example.org https://www.visitscotland.com/info/services/portree-icentre-p333111?
Some friendly advice, when driving on the local roads, particularly on the single track sections, please be courteous and let vehicles who are directly behind you overtake so that the traffic can flow. Better still, stop the car in a safe place and get out to enjoy the scenery.
If you are visiting Staffin this month be aware that this is an important time in the crofting calendar.
Sheep and cattle across the district are giving birth to offspring and pet dogs must be kept under control at all times. Staffin has a reputation among buyers at the autumn sales as a source of top-quality store lambs and calves.
Local crofters already have to protect their stock from predators such as crows, sea eagles and foxes so they can ensure a financial return later in the year for their efforts. Walkers looking to enjoy the spectacular scenery and fresh air in Staffin are warmly welcomed but please use your common sense and be mindful of the heavily pregnant animals.
Enjoy your walk, keep your dog under control at all times and everybody will be happy.
- ELLISHADDER GALLERY AND TEAROOM
Owner Maggie Williams – “After a really busy winter weaving, we opened for the season again on April 1. As usual, we offer homemade soup, drinks, freshly baked cakes and of course hand-woven blankets, throws, cushions, scarves, bags and other accessories. I’ve been concentrating on developing new patterns and have loved experimenting with a ‘double weave’ technique and also ‘deflected double weave’. I now have a new range called ‘Ord’, which is based on the pebbly beaches on Sleat. It’s woven in 100% lambswool and then lightly brushed to give a lovely soft finish – hope you like it!
“Over the winter, I was over the moon at being in featured in Country Living’s ‘Modern Rustic’ magazine and also delighted to be a part of the weaving exhibition at Aros during March.
“This season we’re open Monday – Thursday from 12noon until 4.30pm (ish!) and then Fridays by appointment. If you’d like a weaving demonstration or a chat about the loom and weaving process in more detail then just get in touch and I’ll be happy to open up.”
- THE WEE QUILTER
Owner Wendy Higgins creates all her bespoke products from 100% cotton fabric, which are entirely hand-made. Wendy makes her vast range of quilted products from her wooden workshop. Visitors can pop into the workshop and observe Wendy at work, peruse the unique products for sale and find out more about the materials, techniques and processes involved in creating the different goods. The Wee Quilter is open from 1pm-5pm. https://staffin-trust.co.uk/small-businessestrades
- COLUMBA 1400 CAFE
There are two new fully comprehensive menus for both lunch time (11.30am to 3.30pm) and (5pm to 8pm) evening at this popular eaterie for visitors and locals alike. The Café is also offering discount vouchers to any B&B owners in Skye for their guests. The new menus can posted out, please email with your full name and address to Karen MacDonald email@example.com and we will send them out as soon as possible. https://staffin-trust.co.uk/food-drink-3
It’s all change at Glenview in Culnacnoc. The popular Skye Pie Café is no more but owners Kirsty and Simon are now embarking on exciting new ventures, while stil running their three-bedroom B&B. The Skye Yoga Studio, Shilasdair Yarns and the Isle of Skye natural dye company are all based at Glenview. http://www.earthandskyeyoga.co.uk Anybody wishing to undertake a yoga class with Simon can get in touch, while the yarn shop is open Monday to Friday 12 noon 5pm Saturday, Sunday 12 noon – 3pm. http://www.shilasdair-yarns.com/
- KILMARTIN RIVER CAFÉ – Morag MacKenzie and her team are open Monday to Saturday within Talla Stafainn and have a full and varied menu for everybody. https://staffin-trust.co.uk/food-2
- STAFFIN MUSEUM – is now open for the season Monday to Saturday 9.30m to 5pm. https://staffin-trust.co.uk/visitor-attractions
- STAFFIN STORES – There is a range of quality meat, dairy and bakery produce, fresh fruit and veg, confectionery and soft drinks in the well-stocked shop, which is open six days a week. It also has a cash machine and launderette. https://staffin-trust.co.uk/shops
- MACKENZIE STORES – is a well-stocked and licensed shop which also has a food takeaway and sells fuel. https://staffin-trust.co.uk/shops-2
- STAFFIN GYM – based upstairs in Talla Stafainn, the gym extends a warm welcome to locals and visitors. A new rowing machine was installed in the gym last night a slightly better version of the old one, with additional handle controls. https://staffin-trust.co.uk/leisure
- STAFFIN CAMPSITE – the AA 3 Star approved and Caravan and Camping Club facility with spectacular views is open for the season, more details here: https://staffin-trust.co.uk/accommodation-2
- B&Bs/SELF-CATERING: Cruachan in Glasphein, https://staffin-trust.co.uk/accommodation-3 and Quiraing view in Digg https://staffin-trust.co.uk/accommodation
- STAFFIN GROUNDWORKS – a family plant hire firm which works on a range of different construction and infrastructure contracts in rural and urban sites across Skye and Lochalsh. https://staffin-trust.co.uk/tradesservices